Follow my blog with Bloglovin Get your own free Blogoversary button!

Friday, July 20, 2012

My Worst Jobs


A comment on my 1st guest post, (read here) about my 1st job, has prompted this evenings post. I like working. I like meeting new people. I do not mind customer service or being the public face of an organization.

Usually when I look back I remember the joy of whatever I was doing. I worked in fun environments or found ways to enjoy what I was doing. 

There were a few jobs however that were just more negative than my positivity could over come.

“Hey Thelma where’s Louise?”

If you have not seen the movie maybe you need to just for the eye candy but I cannot recommend it because I HATED the ending.

Never the less there I was bright eyed and bushy tailed if you will. 17 years old
working my first job wearing a name badge that said Thelma.

Company policy forbid workers dealing with customers without a name badge on.

I was a new hire. My boss hired me and almost immediately took a dis liking to me. I did not know any better but looking back that ranks as a pretty bad employment stint.

Either he had gotten used to printing replacement labels between engravings and the label printer was broken or the higher ups had disallowed the managers from using this band aid approach to the problem of missing name badges. 

I do not remember exactly which it was.

The next bad job that I had was an odd ball job I found in the paper, I guess, one day. I had no idea what I was getting myself into.

It was an earth friendly business. I was hired to call their yearly donors and supporters asking them to make their yearly donation.

So it was like telemarketing in a warm market to use a little business, sales, and marketing jargon.

I do not think my job was commission based. I do not remember if I got fired or I quit. 

I just remember it was not quite what I thought it was going to be or I did not enjoy the experience the way I could have, something like that.

People were grumpy or down right mean when I would reach them by phone. 

I then worked for a major retailier that sells long term contracts to go with the items you buy
. I liked this job better and kept it longer. 

The weird thing about that is at this job I worked with older people.

The eco friendly job had the young hip seeming employees closer to my age that I might have been interested to get to know. 

We probably shared more common social interests outside of work.

Maybe I have an old soul or maybe I know where I am being celebrated and not just tolerated. 

I think it is a bit of both.

No comments:

Post a Comment