Follow my blog with Bloglovin Get your own free Blogoversary button!

Tuesday, July 17, 2012

My Body My Life

This is a link up to She Loves Magazine that came across my Twitter yesterday. The idea is for women to write a love letter to their bodies and share. So here is mine.

I am a woman. I am a daughter and a sister. I am a mother.

I would rather be me than a super model with poor self esteem.

Growing up, thankfully I had fairly healthy self esteem.
No thanks to my would be model of a best friend. She was tall and very shapely to my shorter more awkward stage in middle school when we were changing into teenagers.

Surprisingly what helped me was ease dropping on and listening to what boys were saying about us budding beauties.

Standing next to my tall shapely friend with the high cheek bones I felt like the kid sister even though I am a month older. 

Still what I realized the boys were saying amongst themselves was that they had crushes on multiple girls for a myriad of reasons.

Those same girls disdained or disqualified the very things the boys liked about them. I decided not to get caught up in it all.

When all was said and done I developed into a proportional hour glass shape. No part of me by itself is overly sexy.

All together however I am a grown woman capable of all that women were put on earth to do. That makes me sexy.

I am a great friend. I give good hugs. I have been reasonably healthy all these 30+ years. I bore a baby girl and nursed her for two years. It changed my body but that is normal and to be expected.

I have "dimples and scars" but I feel great. I am wearing my age well and managing my weight. What more could I reasonably ask for?

I would have colored and sized me completely differently. I was not consulted at the genetic level. 

None of us were. I wish more women would accept this so we could more forward together.

My mother did diets and pills a bit in my younger years but I never fell into that track. 

Part of this would be connected to my paternity. The rest is just about nutrition information and activity.

Having faith means I know my value
flows from the inside out. 
Whatever my externals, the point of life is to work on the heart mind and soul for growth and maturity over time.

8 comments:

  1. This is a beautiful idea. I'm going to steal this for a post! You have such wisdom and insight, and a great appreciation for who God created you to be. Lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, thank you. I am looking forward to having the free time to look at a handful of the other submissions I think they should be healing. I will keep a look out to see what you come up with. We need to speak well of ourselves and value what is good about our bodies temporary though they be. Some days I still want to look like my daughter but oh well. lol

      Delete
  2. I think I may have to do one like this too. Brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it is inspiring and empowering. I am hoping very healing too for those who need it. Keep us posted. We want to share in your joy!

      Delete
  3. Oh, I was thinking about a body image post later this week. Perhaps I will do it in this format tomorrow and link up. I think it's a grand idea, and good on you for being brave enough to participate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To see me really being brave you can look back over recent posts. I posed in red dresses and with or without make up. Most of the time I like to hide my face.

      Not because I fear but because I want people to identify with the work before the woman behind it. Even though I share from the heart.

      Maybe I am strange. It is exciting to see what posts like these can inspire. I hope you do write up what was on your mind.

      Delete
  4. Great post! As the father of two girls ages 8 and 10 - I strive to instill in them them the following facts:
    1. They're not defined by their outward appearance
    2. Inner beauty is the only beauty that lasts
    3. Don't let establish false "beauty" standards that you feel compelled to measure up to

    This is pretty good fodder for a blog post! Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Being a present father will be more grounding than anything you ever say. Still God bless you for the work you are doing. I wish more men would. Intention matters and goes a long way. Our daughters deserve our best. There are hundreds of other posts in this link up. I can hope it might start a movement!

      Delete