Follow my blog with Bloglovin Get your own free Blogoversary button!

Saturday, July 14, 2012

5 Pounds of Honey


Eating healthier should not be miserable but sometimes it means getting creative. 

I remember a family mine met when we moved back east made carob chip instead of chocolate chip cookies. 

We have not gone that far. Instead I have given up hydrogenated oils. 

It is a preservative much like plastic that is put in many of our foods so we can store them long term. 

This meant giving up my favorite candy bar. 

Then there were the common household foods. One of them is peanut butter.

Going without the added oil means going with out other additives too. 

The salt I do not miss. I do not mind mixing in the oil. I do not mind keeping it in the refrigerator. I do however miss the sweeter taste. 

Enter the five pound container of honey. 

I saw it on sale and thought we could use it. It keeps well right? My thinking was I could add honey to my plain peanut butter. So far the idea seems to be working out okay. 

Not exactly five pounds worth of okay however. I need to try honey in more things. 

Got any recipes (using honey) to share?

Next up to substitute with will be my granola recipe. 

I am thinking 1/3 each butter and honey should do it. The recipe I use is simple and a little thrown together. 

Try your own additives and extras. Put it in yogurt like my daughter does or eat it plain like trail mix. I eat mine over or with banana. 

3 Cups Old Fashioned Oats 
1 Cup Grated or Shredded Coconut 
1/4-1/2 Cup of melted butter 
1/3-3/4 Cups of Brown Sugar 
1 Teaspoon each ground spices: 
Cinnamon 
Cloves 
All Spice 
Nutmeg 
1/2 Teaspoon Ground Ginger 

I like to sift the spices with the coconut. 

Mix the sugar into the butter and pour over the oats. When the oats are fully coated and mixed then add the nut and spice mix. 

When all is mixed well spread onto a cookie baking sheet and bake for 15-30 minutes at 350 degrees. 

Sometimes I turn the tray around so the back is in the front. I will also use a spatula to turn the mix at least once while it cooks. 

The granola will take on a nice color from a rich brown to a deeper caramel. When done remove from heat and allow to cool. 

Store in an air tight container. I have no idea how long it can last because we eat it!

6 comments:

  1. Well, first of all I make homemade peanut butter all the time. I made the switch over a year ago, and it keeps about a month in my fridge. I just use peanuts nothing else. I use honey roasted peanuts most of the time.

    I eat a spoonful of honey everyday, it helps with allergies, especially if the honey is from your area because the bees pollinate from the same plants you are allergic to and it's supposed to help you build up an immune to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This all has me thinking about trying that self grind kind at the couple of stores that offer the option. It usually looks really thick.

      Yes I have heard that local honey can help people suffering with allergies. I outgrew mine but my daughter is still suffering a little.

      I had allergies when I hit puberty and I do not think I ever had honey as a child.

      Delete
  2. Okay, So I went to babysit this evening, and the whole time I was thinking of what recipes could help you use up the honey and came home and saw a post on my facebook new feed.....

    Grilled Brie Cheese & Trail Mix & HONEY

    http://www.eatliverun.com/grilled-brie-with-honey-and-trail-mix/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you.

      I do not know what Facebook is up to. I see some weird things in my news feed as well... ggrrr I dislike that place. There is a post here on the blog to that affect.

      Mean while I guess I will be starting a file on honey recipes. I do not like cheese but the brie idea seems like a good appetizer for a get together.

      Delete
  3. I have been cooking Paleo for 6 months. Here is a recent recipe
    http:/thereflectionofhim.blogspot.com/2012/07/paleo-apple-blueberry-crisp.html?m=1

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fascinating, thanks. I guess I could substitute honey and stick to the Paleo rules. Do you have an allergy or need to be gluten & wheat free?

      Delete