Follow my blog with Bloglovin Get your own free Blogoversary button!

Saturday, April 14, 2012

M is for Meatloaf

Let’s talk food!

I grew up enjoying my mothers meat loaf but not enough to want to make my own for the first handful of years after I moved out on my own. Finally I decided to take the plunge.

After using a Betty Crocker Cookbook recipe it was decided the recipe needed tweaking. I use this cookbook as my go to standard usually with great results.

It did not taste bad just a tad bland and I wound up putting ketchup or barbecue sauce on the slices to perk them up.

Since then I have added BBQ sauce and a bit more pepper in the pre cooked mix to give it that kick and bite that I find exciting. When feeling really kitchen savvy I will whip up some corn bread to enjoy with it.

I thought everyone made meatloaf with red sauce. Turns out some make it with milk or both. Then a friend showed me how she eats tomato soup mixed with milk and I was really all turned about. 

For your dining and cooking pleasure I will leave you with two recipes. This first one is a variation I might use from a link that claims to be from Martha Stewart's mom.  

Following  that will proceed one that uses milk and a marinara sauce that I am thinking I might try one day. 

Spicy BBQ Meatloaf

2 Ends of a loaf of bread or one cup bread crumbs. 

(Mince and tear bread into bits if the former.)

1 Cup Oats or 1/2 cup oats and half a sleeve of Ritz crackers crushed

2.5 Pounds raw ground beef

2 Eggs

1/2 Cup Ketchup

1/2 Cup Barbecue Sauce 

2 Tablespoons Mustard

1 Tablespoon sea salt

1/2 Tablespoon of ground pepper

2 Tablespoons brown sugar

Optional herbs and vegetables to taste. Chop dice or mince as needed.

Set oven to 375°

Sift bread crumbs and other dry fillers oats, cracker crumbs etc.

Mix in well with beef

Optional herbs and vegetables can be added here as well.  

Add eggs

Mix sauces. Reserve 1/2 as a topping. To the remaining half cup add 1 tablespoon of the mustard, combine thoroughly.

Add all to meat mixture

Place meat mixture in baking container. A glass square pan will work.

Combine reserved sauce mixture with mustard and brown sugar 

Pour over meatloaf. Use a spatula or other kitchen tool to spread the mixture evenly over the top.

Bake!

Check every half an hour or so. You can drain off some of the excess fatty oil. Cover with foil if it begins to brown too soon or too much.
3 slices (1 ounce each) white sandwich bread, torn into very small pieces

1 1/4 cups milk

1 1/2 pounds ground beef chuck

1 small onion, grated

2 garlic cloves, minced

1/2 cup flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped

1 large egg, lightly beaten

1 teaspoon dried thyme

1 teaspoon dried oregano

2 cups store-bought marinara sauce

Sea salt and ground pepper to taste.


Interestingly the comments on the page I got this one from say the herbs over power the meat. I wonder if this means I have a high tolerance for flavors because this recipe seems very mild in terms of flavors to my reading.

Maybe it is made with the intention that diners eat the meatloaf in bites always with a bit of the potato and green beans.

You know how some people like to mix their food together and others like to eat things separately. 
I could see making different strengths of a meatloaf for instance depending on how your household or pickiest eater likes to enjoy it.

4 comments:

  1. What would we do without Betty Crocker cookbooks?
    Meatloafs are fun because one can do so much with them. One of my favorites as a kid was to have a meatloaf ring (like a donut) with mashed potatoes
    in the middle. Can't wait to try your recipes... Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree BCC is my go to stand by. I make the corn bread, I made the cat shaped cake once, when ever I need a base recipe I usually pull it out and see what it has to say to me.

      I did not grow up eating mashed potatoes with meatloaf. I am not sure what I think I want to pair it with as far as vegetables go. Maybe corn since it is my favorite.

      Delete
  2. I do love meatloaf. For something different, I make mini ones using ground turkey and cheddar cheese.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw some recipes with ground turkey and am interested in those too now.

      Delete