Follow my blog with Bloglovin Get your own free Blogoversary button!

Thursday, July 18, 2013

New Challenge Accepted

The challenge is a speaking activity.

Present a two minute talk. (GULP)

I am not nervous because the goal is to present this to a group.

The challenge makes me nervous because I can talk as fast as an auctioneer especially when I am excited and I love to talk. I am a chatter box full of stories and tales.

Two minutes is like a spoonful of the ocean. What can I parse down to share that fast that will be complete? That is the nerve wracking question.

I could practice it live if my video camera was not so lame.

I have slowed down my chattering but it still can't keep up. Plus I do not want to do hair and make up just to practice but not be able to show anyone.



Greeting & Intro
Body
Closing

The fact that I have two other blogs leads me into talking about why I Twitter or what it is like to be raising a teenaged girl.

Either of those topics can easily cover five minutes of talk time.

There are some non Toastmasters speakers groups I am finally discovering. I have known about Toastmasters for a while now but I think these other groups I am seeing on Facebook are mostly rather new.

"Motivational Speaking" has been my dream job since the last time I sat down to dream about my life. I know to many others it sounds like a nerve wracking crazy dream. 

That is how you know you love a thing. When no one else might ever understand and other people are all but literally running in the opposite direction.

When I face crowds to speak I channel the nervous energy and hone in on the love. 

I know I am an effective communicator. I know people want to hear something enriching or humorous and I can deliver both. It is win win.

So now I just need to work on my timing and get some dates on the calendar. Next stop, paying gigs! The house needs things...

4 comments:

  1. Best of luck with your speaking engagement! You'll do great! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I hope eventually if things do go well others will video tape me and then I can get on YouTube. Doing it myself just is not appealing. I am excited to reach audiences and make folks laugh. Life is good when it is shared. Things can be poignant so you have a choice laugh or cry.

      Delete
  2. My sister wants to be a motivational speaker. She is in a way - she is a pastor. I think she wants to be a different kind of light bringer, though. Non-traditional. She has a lot to offer and it not about to be boxed into anyone’s stereotypical idea of religious authority. I am not so great at doing things on video, although I am trying to do better! Good luck.

    Elizabeth T, Early Rise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I were a pastor I would think it could be easy to get speaking invites to women's ministry events. That is where I think I might try to start. I am a non traditional light for sure and I cannot be put in a box.

      Delete