Follow my blog with Bloglovin Get your own free Blogoversary button!

Monday, July 8, 2013

Blogging and Social Media Stats



For those of us who are serious about our social media standing and activities, there are pretty basic ways to keep track of how things are going.

Are you checking? Are you keeping track? 

Are you tweaking when you see trends or want to give yourself a boost? 

Do you have goals you are trying to attain?

I am not sure I have specific goals. What I do know is that I am on pace to get my blog to 20,000 views by the year end of 2013. We are right at around 18,000. 

There is a flaggy hit counter at the bottom of the blog which shows flags from the various countries that have logged in. 

If you add one let me know.

Current viewership is not bad for only about one serious year of blogging, I think.

My blog is older than that but often I have let it languish and it was not until last year that I found places to share it and started to have a steady audience.

I would love to get my Klout score into the 80’s . Partly because I am job hunting and would love to work in social media. Partly because some of my favorite social media personalities have scores that high.

Klout and Kred measure your connections and influence via social media. 

Who you know, or are networked with and who you communicate with determine how well known you are. The better connected you are the more influence you are thought to have.

Next step world domination? Maybe…

When I am blogging regularly I check in every day on my stats. I look at post views, comments, traffic, +1’s and other information.

Apparently people like when I talk about issues concerning social media. Those posts have high traffic counts.

I cannot seem to predict what posts people will be most likely to share or which ones will bring in the most comments. Some things are perhaps best left up to the mystery of it all.

I have accounts on G+, Pinterest, Twitter, Tumblr, Flickr.

I do not have SnapChat, Vine or Instagram. I really never followed the picture craze that has taken over the internet. I barely like the video one. 

Still these are all places where people are hanging out. If you want to mix and mingle you have to show up.

Once you start putting yourself out there you will want to stay engaged in what is going on. This will produce stats and once you start having them you will want to keep tabs on them.

Does this sound like a lot of work? Maybe it is and maybe it is not. You do not have to do everything all at once. You do not have to be everywhere.

It is more important to branch out slowly and do it well. 

A final tip: Once you add a new social media site make sure you list or link to it on all your other social media sites.

Many sites will ask you for cross connecting URL's but not all enable them. 

Add them somehow anyway. Your audience is everywhere.

The same social site you may be avoiding might be one that a person who loves your content will love. 

You do not have to be a pro on said site but it will help when you show up where people can find you and let them know where you most like to be found.

Nothing is worse than reading a blog or bio that does not lead to another way to contact the entity behind it.

No comments:

Post a Comment