Follow my blog with Bloglovin Get your own free Blogoversary button!

Saturday, July 6, 2013

I Made Brownies


This recipe came across my Twitter recently. I booked marked and shared it but didn’t decide to make it right away because it calls for two extrA egg yolks among all the other ingredients. 

I had no idea what I was going to do with the extra egg whites. (I still have them in a container in the refrigerator.) 

I also for whatever reason I read it as egg whites at first and so thought I would have the yolks left over. 

(I have two cracked whole eggs in there as well...)


The reason the recipe appealed to me however is due to the idea that I could get chewy brownies out of it. It can be hard for me to find brownies that I really love. I don’t want them goey with chocolate and I do not want them cakey. I want a nice chewy center with crispy edges!


All I can say about these is that they came out yummy. I especially love the pecans as usual. Next go around I will totally omit the leavening because they had a bit of height on them and that is not what I was going for. 

Still they did not seem cakey so we noshed upon them until they were gone!


Enjoy~


Ingredients:


Butter one large pan or two small brownie pans


    1/2 Cup Unsweetened cocoa powder

    1 1/2 Teaspoons instant coffee

    1/2 Cup +2 tablespoons boiling water

    2 oz Unsweetened chocolate, finely chopped

    4 Tablespoons of melted butter

    1/2 Cup +2 Tablespoons oil

    2 Large eggs

    2 Large egg yolks

    2 Teaspoons pure vanilla extract

    2 1/2 Cups sugar

    1 3/4 Cups flour

    3/4 Teaspoon (sea) salt

    1/16 Teaspoon baking soda

    1 cup chopped pecans (optional)*



Instructions:


Preheat oven to 350F


Whisk the cocoa powder, espresso, and boiling water together in a large bowl. Add the chopped chocolate and whisk until melted. Whisk in the butter and oil, and then cool until lukewarm.


Whisk in the egg, egg yolk, and vanilla until smooth, then whisk in the sugar.


Add flour, salt, baking soda, and nuts*, and stir with a wooden spoon until just combined.


Pour the batter into the prepared dish and bake until a toothpick inserted inside comes out moist with a couple crumbs, about 30 to 40 minutes.

Cool 5 minutes in pan. Cut and serve. 

I could not wait until they were all cooled so I started nibbling on them while they were still warm.

We also had people in the house and I wanted us to be able to enjoy the treats as the rich chocolatey smell filled the house. 

Formerly posted Coffee Pecan Brownie recipe.

5 comments:

  1. I think I must have the largest collection of brownie recipes in the world. Love brownies. Thanks for sharing. Nothing better the house smelling of fresh baked brownies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This reminds me to link to the other brownie recipe posted here on the blog. Thank you.

      Yes, a collection of them we should all have. Talk about taking one for the team. Wait no we can call this science in the kitchen and deem ourselves the official food tasters.

      I want a cool hat and a name badge. lol

      Delete
  2. I have an excellent recipe you might like. Also, I have a special brownie pan that creates edges on every brownie. Check it out here, at the bottom of the post.
    http://adventuresintheballpark.blogspot.com/2012/08/ballpark-brownies.html
    I'm going to try your recipe too. We are browning fans!
    from The Dugout

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have seen those pans that create extra edges!!! Must get one.

      hahahaha Thanks!

      Delete