Follow my blog with Bloglovin Get your own free Blogoversary button!

Thursday, July 11, 2013

Bar Cookie Fail

Yesterday was a mess! I mean it didn't exactly feel like one all day but in the round up of exactly went on...yeah just not my best day.

Right after I got my blog all caught up and posted to I went to check email yesterday morning.

Oh wait I awoke at 5am. So there was that.

Tried to log into my email and for some reason I had been locked out. It was a soft lock out. Maybe that happens every two weeks or for some other reasons but it always takes me by surprise.

My ID was still logged in but I needed to verify my password. I never have any idea what that is. I try to write them down but then I never know where that scrap of paper is etc.

So I spend a lot of time resetting passwords. I asked for the reset link and it was slow...

I don't know if the alternate mail service receiver was slow or if the networks were bogged down. In my impatient frustration I clicked on an old reset link.

This made the email program so mad it said "24 Hour Lock Out".

Maybe I will get back into my email after lunch...UGH

So the day proceeded. I was proud of myself I did the dishes being up so early. What I really wanted to do was try to make chewy chocolate chip cookies.

I have not made chocolate chip cookies in probably a decade at the least. I took out two sticks of butter and was letting them soften.

Then it was carpool time. After taking my daughter to school we came home.

We chatted and tried to catch up on Rizzoli and Isles. The daughter is addicted. Between the airings, the DVR, on demand, the internet and her phone she is still missing some episodes from season three.

Suddenly around 7pm she asked if we could hit the gym.

First thing in the morning when she woke up she tried to scrounge around and pull together $10 to take her friend who was here spending the night to the gym with her.

We didn't have the money so the girls took a morning walk.

Ten or twelve hours later we have just enough time to get in during our 9 to 9 window of free time.

We ran over there and did an hour at the gym from 8 to 9pm.

The mission upon returning home was FOOD. I dug out the cookie sheets so she could pop something in the oven and I started the batter.

2 1/4 Cups Flour
1/4 Teaspoon Baking Soda
1 Teaspoon Salt
1/2 Cup Sugar
1 Cup Packed Brown Sugar (light or dark)
2 Eggs
1 Teaspoon Vanilla
2 Cups Chocolate Chips
1 Cup Chopped Walnuts*

It did not include the variation to add nuts but I like my cookies with nuts so I chopped those and added them in. When I took the butter out I placed them too close to the coffee I was warming up on the stove in the morning.

They started melting in a puddle so I unwrapped them and placed them in a bowl. This left the wrappers and I knew I probably was not going to make cookies per say.

I greased a glass pie plate. It waited all day. If I had not cleaned the baking sheets for the daughter I would have just greased the sister pie plate. Although from the looks of the batter I might have needed three.

When the pan and the plate of batter were both in the oven I lay down on the couch...

It was about twelve hours from when my email locked me out. 40 minutes later I kind of fluttered awake and my daughter said

"Um, Mom...your cookies are smelling..."

Burning might have been a better word...

I pulled them out of the oven, turned if off and returned to slumber.


  1. always taste better burnt.. haha ...joke... Nice blog Tosca :-)

    1. I have just left them sitting on the stove in the pans and they have softened over days so I have been nibbling. Tasty!