Follow my blog with Bloglovin Get your own free Blogoversary button!

Sunday, November 20, 2011

Vinegar Egg Yolk Pie Crust

I use a variation of a fool proof pie crust recipe that is running around online. I have it written in an old cook book I was compiling as a teen or even pre teen as it were. Yes that is how old this recipe is for me but it works.

2 Cups Flour 
1/2 Cup each shortening & cold butter
1.5 Teaspoons of Sugar
1 Teaspoon Salt
1.5 Teaspoons Vinegar
1 Egg yolk
1/4 Cup ice water

This time of year my mother would be calling me saying I was in charge of desserts for our holiday get togethers. My dad's favorite was apple pie. Hers might be pecan but I think we had sweet potato more often.

Mom did not like pumpkin...

In latter years I started trying to eat better. I bought whole wheat bread and flour. I found a nice recipe using whole wheat flour butter and apple juice or apple cider, sea salt optional. I cannot recall if I added the egg and vinegar. It has been so long since I baked like this.
What I came to respect about the process for getting out a perfect dough is the following:

Use cold butter and ice water.

Rest dough in the refrigerator 20-30 minutes.

Do not over work.

Do not touch with hands. I use wax paper.

Cut the butter into the flour etc. moisten with the liquid and mix thoroughly. Round into a ball and chill.

Roll out and bake as directed.

No comments:

Post a Comment