Follow my blog with Bloglovin Get your own free Blogoversary button!

Friday, November 29, 2013

Shopping on Thanksgiving



Have no fear my dear reader. I plan to mostly shop small this season. I further did not shop during Turkey day.

My usual plan is to delay gratification and clean up on the day after Christmas.

That being said I am just not upset about stores opening on Thanksgiving. I think the world is changing and expanding. The nation is more diverse if that is even possible. There are families with their own traditions and others with odd work days and schedules.

Completely shutting down for one day just seems too ancient a practice.

I do feel sorry for those who are pulled away from family and friends to work. I know however that is the work life fate of some. There are businesses and industries that are always open on holidays. 

I have worked through holiday season, in the restaurant business. It is not retail I grant you but it is not being at home with family either. You depend on your team and need to love your work.

My wish right now might be that those who would like to work get the option and others who would like the time off would also be given the choice. Maybe that is coming as this new shopping day opportunity gets off the ground.

Not everyone has a lovely large family gathering to look forward to and or be pulled away from on Thanksgiving. I think the naysayers cannot see past their own bias to this reality. 

Maybe this year, retailers will make up for the six less shopping days between Thanksgiving and Christmas, by opening early to dish out deals.

The holiday came so late in the month that the usual week of November that we get after is missing.

I am sorry to those who just see shopping on turkey day as one more way the season is being commercialized. I can understand that but the answer for that is to be part of the solution and not shop rather than complaining.

Thanksgiving is the biggest travel holiday in the year. Some people only have that day off and are back to the grind today. Somewhere between eating, napping and eating some more people have time to get out and power shop if they want or need to. 

I know some people hate to shop or like to go out leisurely and take all day. That is not what holiday deal specials are all about. 

Hopefully those who are opposed to this idea can embrace it as the years go by. I am already seeing and hearing about deals people on my social networks have scored.

My only constant caution for the holiday shopping season is

Shop Responsibly Folks

Other than that I don’t care when or how you do it. 
 
To those who camp out and those who are hovered over their internet connections determined to get great deals while avoiding the crowds I say

 “Rock on”!

No comments:

Post a Comment